Kibana is your window into the Elastic Stack. Specifically, it's a browser-based analytics and search dashboard for Elasticsearch.
- Getting Started
- Version Compatibility with Elasticsearch
- Questions? Problems? Suggestions?
If you just want to try Kibana out, check out the Elastic Stack Getting Started Page to give it a whirl.
If you're interested in diving a bit deeper and getting a taste of Kibana's capabilities, head over to the Kibana Getting Started Page.
Using a Kibana Release
If you want to use a Kibana release in production, give it a test run, or just play around:
- Download the latest version on the Kibana Download Page.
- Learn more about Kibana's features and capabilities on the Kibana Product Page.
- We also offer a hosted version of Kibana on our Cloud Service.
Building and Running Kibana, and/or Contributing Code
You might want to build Kibana locally to contribute some code, test out the latest features, or try out an open PR:
- CONTRIBUTING.md will help you get Kibana up and running.
- If you would like to contribute code, please follow our STYLEGUIDE.md.
- Learn more about our UI code with UI_SYSTEMS.md.
- For all other questions, check out the FAQ.md and wiki.
Visit Elastic.co for the full Kibana documentation.
For information about building the documentation, see the README in elastic/docs.
Version Compatibility with Elasticsearch
Ideally, you should be running Elasticsearch and Kibana with matching version numbers. If your Elasticsearch has an older version number or a newer major number than Kibana, then Kibana will fail to run. If Elasticsearch has a newer minor or patch number than Kibana, then the Kibana Server will log a warning.
Note: The version numbers below are only examples, meant to illustrate the relationships between different types of version numbers.
|Situation||Example Kibana version||Example ES version||Outcome|
|Versions are the same.||5.1.2||5.1.2||? OK|
|ES patch number is newer.||5.1.2||5.1.5||⚠️ Logged warning|
|ES minor number is newer.||5.1.2||5.5.0||⚠️ Logged warning|
|ES major number is newer.||5.1.2||6.0.0||? Fatal error|
|ES patch number is older.||5.1.2||5.1.0||⚠️ Logged warning|
|ES minor number is older.||5.1.2||5.0.0||? Fatal error|
|ES major number is older.||5.1.2||4.0.0||? Fatal error|
Questions? Problems? Suggestions?
- If you've found a bug or want to request a feature, please create a GitHub Issue. Please check to make sure someone else hasn't already created an issue for the same topic.
- Need help using Kibana? Ask away on our Kibana Discuss Forum and a fellow community member or Elastic engineer will be glad to help you out.