Awesome Deep Learning Project Ideas
A curated list of practical deep learning and machine learning project ideas
- 30+ ideas
- Relevant to both the academia and industry
- Ranges from beginner friendly to research projects
Text - With some topics about Natural language processing
Forecasting - Most of the topics in this section is about Time Series and similar forecasting challenges
Vision - With topics about image and video processing
Covid19 - Multi or Single Domain ideas from the Covid19 theme
Music and Audio - These topics are about combining ideas from language and audio to understand music
- Classify Bing Queries as either specific (e.g. about a specific location) or generic. You might have to figure out a more exact definition of specific or generic though
- Dataset: BingCoronavirusQuerySet
Covid Clinical Data
- Rank and sort high risk patients using clinical data. Pick an interpretable approach if you can.
- Dataset: CovidClinicalData
If you haven't already, checkout Kaggle's Covid19 Section as well. It has datasets and ideas both.
Autonomous Tagging of StackOverflow Questions
- Identify keywords from millions of questions
- Dataset: StackOverflow question samples by Facebook
- Multi-label classification of printed media articles to topics
- Dataset: Greek Media monitoring multi-label classification
Natural Language Understanding
Automated essay grading
- The purpose of this project is to implement and train machine learning algorithms to automatically assess and grade essay responses.
- Dataset: Essays with human graded scores
Sentence to Sentence semantic similarity
- Can you identify question pairs that have the same intent or meaning?
- Dataset: Quora question pairs with similar questions marked
Fight online abuse
- Can you confidently and accurately tell whether a particular comment is abusive?
- Dataset: Toxic comments on Kaggle
Open Domain question answering
Social Chat/Conversational Bots
Automatic text summarization
- Can you create a summary with the major points of the original document?
- Abstractive (write your own summary) and Extractive (select pieces of text from original) are two popular approaches
- Dataset: CNN and DailyMail News Pieces by Google DeepMind
- Generate plausible new text which looks like some other text
- Obama Speeches? For instance, you can create a bot which writes some new speeches in Obama's style
- Trump Bot? Or a Twitter bot which mimics @realDonaldTrump
- Narendra Modi bot saying "doston"? Start by scrapping off his Hindi speeches from his personal website
- Example Dataset: English Transcript of Modi speeches
Check mlm/blog for some hints.
- Do Twitter Sentiment Analysis on tweets sorted by geography and timestamp.
- Dataset: Tweets sentiment tagged by humans
- Can you classify the text of an e-mail message to decide who sent it?
- Dataset: 150,000 Enron emails
Univariate Time Series Forecasting
- How much will it rain this year?
- Dataset: 45 years of rainfall data
Multi-variate Time Series Forecasting
- How polluted will your town's air be? Pollution Level Forecasting
- Dataset: Air Quality dataset
- Find a short term forecast on electricity consumption of a single home
- Dataset: Electricity consumption of a household
Predict Blood Donation
Search + Recommendation System
- Predict which Xbox game a visitor will be most interested in based on their search query
- Dataset: BestBuy
Can you predict Influencers in the Social Network?
- How can you predict social influencers?
- Dataset: PeerIndex
- Object recognition or image classification task is how Deep Learning shot up to it's present-day resurgence
- MS COCO is the modern replacement to the ImageNet challenge
- MNIST Handwritten Digit Classification Challenge is the classic entry point
- Character recognition (digits) is the good old Optical Character Recognition problem
- Bird Species Identification from an Image using the Caltech-UCSD Birds dataset dataset
- Diagnosing and Segmenting Brain Tumours and Phenotypes using MRI Scans
- Dataset: MICCAI Machine Learning Challenge aka MLC 2014
- Identify endangered right whales in aerial photographs
- Dataset: MOAA Right Whale
- Can computer vision spot distracted drivers?
- Dataset: State Farm Distracted Driver Detection on Kaggle
Bone X-Ray competition
- Can you identify if a hand is broken from a X-ray radiographs automatically with better than human performance?
- Stanford's Bone XRay Deep Learning Competition with MURA Dataset
- Can you caption/explain the photo a way human would?
- Dataset: MS COCO
Image Segmentation/Object Detection
Large-Scale Video Understanding
- Can you produce the best video tag predictions?
- Dataset: YouTube 8M
- Can you recompose images in the style of other images?
- Dataset: fzliu on GitHub shared target and source images with results
- Can you detect if someone is sick from their chest XRay? Or guess their radiology report?
- Dataset: MIMIC-CXR at Physionet
Clinical Diagnostics: Image Identification, classification & segmentation
- Can you help build an open source software for lung cancer detection to help radiologists?
- Link: Concept to clinic challenge on DrivenData
Satellite Imagery Processing for Socioeconomic Analysis
- Can you estimate the standard of living or energy consumption of a place from night time satellite imagery?
- Reference for Project details: Stanford Poverty Estimation Project
Satellite Imagery Processing for Automated Tagging
- Can you automatically tag satellite images with human features such as buildings, roads, waterways and so on?
- Help free the manual effort in tagging satellite imagery: Kaggle Dataset by DSTL, UK
Music/Audio Recommendation Systems
Music Genre recognition using neural networks
Can I use the ideas here for my thesis? Yes, totally! I'd love to know how it went.
Do you have any advice before I start my project? Advice for Short Term Machine Learning Projects by Tim R. is a pretty good starting point!
Would you like to share my solution/code to a problem here? Sure - why not?
Go to the GitHub issues tab in this repository and let me know there.
How can I add my ideas here? Just send a pull request and we'll discuss?
Hey, something is wrong here! Yikes, I am sorry. Please tell me by raising a GitHub issue.
I'll fix it as soon as possible.
Problems are motivated by the ones shared at:
Built with lots of keyboard smashing and copy-pasta love by NirantK. Find me on Twitter!
Receive New & Exclusive Ideas right in your Inbox
These ideas have been seen by people in last few months!
If you are interested in seeing exclusive machine learning and deep learning project ideas, share your e-mail address here!
This repository is licensed under the MIT License. Please see the LICENSE file for more details.