Bypass Paywalls is a web browser extension to help bypass paywalls for selected sites.
- Download this repo as a ZIP file from GitHub.
- Unzip the file and you should have a folder named
- In Chrome go to the extensions page
- Enable Developer Mode.
- Drag the
bypass-paywalls-chrome-masterfolder anywhere on the page to import it (do not delete the folder afterwards).
- Every time you open Chrome it may warn you about running extensions in developer mode, just click 🗙 to keep the extension enabled.
- You will be logged out for any site you have checked.
- This extension works best alongside the adblocker uBlock Origin.
- With the Firefox version you get automatic updates.
Bypass the following sites' paywalls with this extension:
Adweek\ Algemeen Dagblad\ American Banker\ Baltimore Sun\ Barron's\ Bloomberg Quint\ Bloomberg\ Brisbane Times\ Business Insider\ Caixin\ Central Western Daily\ Chemical & Engineering News\ Chicago Tribune\ Corriere Della Sera\ Crain's Chicago Business\ Daily Press\ De Groene Amsterdammer\ De Tijd\ De Volkskrant\ DeMorgen\ Denver Post\ Dynamed Plus\ Eindhovens Dagblad\ El Pais\ Encyclopedia Britannica\ Estadão\ Examiner\ Financial News\ Financial Times\ First Things\ Foreign Policy\ Fortune\ Genomeweb\ Glassdoor\ Haaretz.co.il\ Haaretz.com\ Handelsblatt\ Harper's Magazine\ Hartford Courant\ Harvard Business Review\ Herald Sun\ Het Financieel Dagblad\ History Extra\ Il Manifesto\ Inc.com\ Investors Chronicle\ L'Écho\ L.A. Business Journal\ La Nación\ La Repubblica\ La Stampa\ La Tercera\ Le Devoir\ Le Parisien\ Les Échos\ Loeb Classical Library\ London Review of Books\ Los Angeles Times\ MIT Sloan Management Review\ MIT Technology Review\ Medium\ Mexicon News Daily\ Mountain View Voice\ NRC Handelsblad\ NT News\ National Post\ Neue Zürcher Zeitung\ New York Magazine\ New Zealand Herald\ Nikkei Asian Review\ Orange County Register\ Orlando Sentinel\ Palo Alto Online\ Parool\ Quartz\ Quora\ Republic.ru\ San Diego Union Tribune\ San Francisco Chronicle\ Scientific American\ Seeking Alpha\ SOFREP\ Statista\ SunSentinel\ Tech in Asia\ Telegraaf\ The Advertiser\ The Advocate\ The Age\ The American Interest\ The Athletic\ The Athletic UK\ The Atlantic\ The Australian Financial Review\ The Australian\ The Business Journals\ The Canberra Times\ The Courier\ The Courier Mail\ The Daily Telegraph\ The Diplomat\ The Economist\ The Globe and Mail\ The Herald\ The Hindu\ The Irish Times\ The Japan Times\ The Kansas City Star\ The Mercury News\ The Mercury Tasmania\ The Morning Call\ The Nation\ The New Statesman\ The New York Times\ The New Yorker\ The News-Gazette\ The Philadelphia Inquirer\ The Saturday Paper\ The Seattle Times\ The Spectator Australia\ The Spectator\ The Sydney Morning Herald\ The Telegraph\ The Times\ The Toronto Star\ The Wall Street Journal\ The Washington Post\ The Wrap\ TheMarker\ Times Literary Supplement\ Towards Data Science\ Trouw\ Vanity Fair\ Vrij Nederland\ Winston-Salem Journal\ Wired\ World Politics Review
Sites with limited number of free articles
The free article limit can normally be bypassed by removing cookies for the site.*
Install the Cookie Remover extension for Google Chrome or for Mozilla Firefox. Please rate it 5 stars if you find it useful.
When coming across a paywall click the cookie icon to remove the cookies then refresh the page.
*May not always succeed
New site requests
Only large or major sites will be considered. Usually premium articles cannot be bypassed as they are behind a hard paywall.
- Install the uBlock Origin extension if it hasn't been installed already. See if you are still getting a paywall.
- Check if using Cookie Remover (Google Chrome version or Mozilla Firefox version) can bypass the paywall. If not, continue to the next step.
- First search Issues to see if the site has been requested already.
- Visit an article on the site you want to bypass the paywall for and copy the article title.
- Open up a new incognito window (Ctrl+Shift+N on Chrome) or Private window (Ctrl+Shift+P on Firefox), and paste the article title into Google.
- Click on the same article from the Google search results page.
- If it loads without a paywall you can submit a request and replace the entire template text with the word "Confirmed". Otherwise please do not submit an issue as this extension cannot bypass it either.
- This extension works best alongside uBlock Origin for Google Chrome or for Mozilla Firefox.
- If a site doesn't work, try turning off uBlock and refreshing.
- Make sure the site is checked under Options (on macOS sometimes the sites get unselected).
- Make sure you're running the latest version of Bypass Paywalls.
- If a site is having problems try unchecking "*General Paywall Bypass*" in Options.
- If none of these work, you can submit an issue here.
Contributing - Pull Requests
PRs are welcome.
- If making a PR to add a new site, confirm your changes actually bypass the paywall.
- At a minimum these files need to be updated:
src/js/sites.js, and possibly
- Follow existing code-style and use camelCase.
follow it exactly. There will be some errors (e.g., do not use it
Show your support
- Follow me on Twitter @iamadamdev for updates.
- I am not asking for donations or anything like that, all I ask is that you star this repo.